Skip to main content

Week 2: Feminist Country + TomatoGate

 So I wanted to do this article for week two for a few reasons. A: I wanted to make it abundantly clear that not all of these are going to be explorations of singular artists. B: A lot of people who aren’t as into country are often under the (completely understandable) impression that country music is one-note, and that note is not “feminism.” And C: I like a lot of female country artists, and it would be irresponsible and ill-advised for me to start talking about female country artists without also touching on their place in the industry, including fucking TomatoGate.

Yeah, country music had a fill-in-the-blank-gate just like everything else in the mid 2010s, and this one was about women in country. To put it very briefly, a country radio consultant said that songs from female artists should never be played back to back on country radio, because women were the tomatoes in the salad, and men were the lettuce.

And no, he didn’t mean that male country artists were bitter and bland, while female country artists were bright and interesting. He just meant that they shouldn’t get as much airtime. And in spite of much backlash for those comments, country radio listened, and the already diminished presence of female artists on country radio continued to dwindle.

That’s the modern state of women in country music. Historically, female artists had somewhat more access to actually being professional country artists. Classic country is full of women: Dolly Parton, Tammy Wynette, Patsy Montana, Patsy Cline, Patsy Sledd…probably some other Patsies. And it continued up until the 90s and early 2000s. I would even argue that the 80s and 90s may have had the strongest showing for female country artists. That’s when singers like Reba McEntire, Shania Twain, and Wynonna Judd (Among many others of course) came to be household names.

And with all of that as background information, let’s talk about some feminist country songs. I’m going to swing for something much more recent as an opener. Coming up in this sort of country music environment, it should be no surprise that a number like Girl in a Country Song rose to prominence. It’s a simultaneously fun and utterly scathing critique of how women are treated in country music i.e. like objects. Maddie and Tae’s big breakout hit picked specifically at certain popular songs from the time period by quoting the lyrics in Girl in a Country Song. For a new-on-the-scene pair of tomatoes, they came out swinging way above their weight class.

And now we’ll swing way the hell back into classic country. Loretta Lynn is often lauded as the first female country singer. We could discuss whether she deserves that title or not, but it’s inarguable that she’s iconic. Song like Coal Miner’s Daughter and The Pill could arguably be on here (In fact, The Pill could pretty inarguably be on here, and almost was.), but I want to draw attention to You Ain’t Woman Enough (To Take My Man). 

 It’s not a song that seems like a big deal. The message is simple enough: you try to get my husband, you’re going to have to kill me. It’s even arguable that, in the modern world, this song isn’t particularly feminist. Two women fighting over a man. But compared to some country music that is also well-beloved (Like, I don’t know, Stand By Your Man, where we learn that sometimes men will have good times and women will have bad times, and women should just suck it up. Yikes.), having a woman stand up for something that she believes in (And not beg the other woman not to take her man, like in Jolene. Love Dolly Parton, but not the best messaging there, either.) is a hell of a step up. And frankly, it’s still a really fun country song.

Now I don’t think a list of feminist country would be complete without at least one Shania Twain song on it. I can hear the country purists typing their screeds now, but I’ve been a Shania fan since I was a kid. And while someone would probably expect Man! I Feel Like a Woman or Honey I’m Home or even Any Man of Mine. But I have to show a little bit of my cred, so let’s go off the singles track and pull something from her album. Something with an…unfortunately still relevant message to modern feminism: If You Want to Touch Her, Ask!

It’s basically about what the title suggests: consent. It also touches on the shocking idea of actually getting to know a woman on, like, a personal level. Bombastic advice, I know. It’s also a great example of pop country, as Shania Twain was one of the forefront country artists dipping her toes into pop at the time, and is still pretty synonymous with the pop country movement that eventually spawned Taylor Swift (Don’t you worry, T Swift’s country career is going to be discussed at some point.).

Before I get into the song I think is the strongest example of feminist country, I want to share one that actually comes from a male artist. And a well-beloved one. One who conservatives love, and apparently didn’t really listen to: Chattahoochee by Alan Jackson. I don’t like to quote lyrics, because lyrics get legally dicey, but this song is all about growing up down south and coming of age and blah blah blah. And it also includes a very casual instance of our young protagonist trying to hook up with his girlfriend.

Then she says no.

And then he listens to her saying no and they get burgers and snow cones. He doesn’t try to convince her. He doesn’t try to coerce her. In fact, they never hook up in the entire song. And his youthful summer isn’t ruined because of it. It’s still a happy song.

Almost like women are people and deserving of respect. Weird.

But okay. Let’s bring in the big guns. Classic country feminism that still holds up: Jeannie C. Riley’s Harper Valley PTA. I told you that country loves a story song in the last entry, and this is right in line with that. It’s the story of a widow, and a gossipy town who doesn’t like her wearing short skirts and going on dates. And the eponymous PTA sends her a letter to tell her she shouldn’t raise her daughter like that.

And our widow shows up to that PTA meeting in a miniskirt and her reading glasses, because she has receipts. She knows who knocked up his secretary, who’s sleeping with the iceman, and who’s got a drinking problem, and if they’re going to butt into her life, then the whole town’s going to know, too. Mrs. Johnson is not having that misogynistic bullshit.

Not today, Satan. Or rather, not today Mr. Baker.

(Sorry for the video. Far as I can tell, Jeannie C. Riley doesn't have a YouTube account. Shocking, I know.)

I’m not going to pretend that this is a comprehensive list of all the feminist country in the world. It’s fucking not, if that needs to be said. One passing mention of Dolly Parton, no mention of Trisha Yearwood, a passing mention of Reba McEntire, not a whiff of more modern female powerhouses like Carrie Underwood or Miranda Lambert or Kacey Musgraves (Who we stan.). But I hope that it gives you a little glance into feminist country. Enough that you might be able to start diving into it on your own, if you’re so inclined.

And that’s all I can really hope for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6: The Chicks

So this week was supposed to be about the Carolina Chocolate Drops and Rhiannon Giddens, and it was supposed to come out on Saturday. But I've been on deadline for a writing project and I just wasn't able to pull it off. I want to be able to do CCD their proper due, because they're amazing. So I'm dusting this one off. It was supposed to come a little later, on, but I already have it written up, so I'm not going to make this any later than it already is. So let's talk about The Chicks . And you can't talk about The Chicks without A: talking about how they dropped "Dixie" from their original name and B: talking about the Iraq War. Yeah. I know. I thought we could move past it too, but it's integral to The Chicks and any conversation about them, because they are one of the very select, very few actual victims of cancel culture. You can find much more detail about this from other places, but the short version is: The Chicks opposed the Iraq War,

Week 3: Reba McEntire

So last week, we talked about TomatoGate and women in country , and that wasn’t an accident. I did absolutely want to cover a sort of “foundational situation” in the country music industry as it exists today. But I also know myself, and I know that I like a lot of female country artists. Especially if folks are looking for something a bit more mainstream, women are usually the first names off my lips for folks looking for examples of good country. Miranda Lambert, The Chicks, Carrie Underwood, Brandi Motherfucking Carlile. If female country artists are the tomatoes, then let it be known: I love tomatoes. I mean, in country music. I’m gay as a drag queen sniffing poppers at White Party while lip syncing to Cher. But I love female-sung country, so I knew that I wanted to open up the gate rather quickly to me discussing female artists. And at least for me, there’s one who comes to mind before anyone else. Reba McEntire has been a staple of the country music industry since 1980, aft

Week 5: Charley Pride + The Black History of Country Music

Well, it’s Black History Month. A time to look at the history of Black people and Black culture in the United States, good, bad, and ugly. And I’ve been saying for a while that I was absolutely going to talk about the Black history of country music, so this seems like the perfect chance to do so. However, before you get all your education on this subject from some schlubby white dude, I strongly recommend that you take a look at actual Black people talking about this subject. Marcus K. Dowling over at The Boot has a great article detailing some of the major Black musicians vital to country music as we know it, and Queen Esther’s article for BlackHistory.com goes a lot more into some of the foundational influence of Black artists and Black culture on what we now know as country music. And Elamin Abdelmahmoud had an amazing piece in Rolling Stone in 2020 about life as a Black country music fan, which also showcases some of the history and a lot of the great Black country artists